Audiences will be excited and thrilled to learn that the programme for House Concert #3 on 15 October is from two of the world’s most promising young cellists, Santiago Canon Valencia and Edward King, accompanied on the piano by Katherine Austin. Tickets are $30 each, and the profit from this concert goes entirely to Santiago and Edward to contribute to their costs in attending the International Cello Competition in Beijing a few days afterwards. This prestigious competition is open to only 40 cellists from around the world, and Santiago and Edward are two of only three who have been selected from the Southern Hemisphere. This year a new Elite Soloist Stream has been set up at Waikato University to cater to the exceptional abilities of Edward King and Santiago Canon Valencia.
- Bach Solo Cello Suite no. 6 in D major: Prelude, Allemande, Courante, Sarabande
- Beethoven (1770-1827): Sonata for piano and cello in A major op. 69 I -Allegro ma non tanto; II -Scherzo: Allegro molto; III -Adagio cantabile-Allegro vivace
- Schubert: "Arpeggione Sonata" in A minor
- György Ligeti (1923-2006): Sonate, for solo cello (1948/1953) I -Dialogo: Adagio, rubato, cantabile; II -Capriccio: Presto con stancio
- Gareth Farr: Shadow of the Hawk
- Ginastera: "Pampeana # 2"
- Cello - Edward King
- Cello - Santiago Canon Valencia
- Piano - Katherine Austin
Santiago Cañon Valencia has placed top equal at the Beijing International Music Competition, and Edward King was rated top by many of the contemporary judges in the initial rounds. A superb achi
evement for them both. If you'd like to hear a Radio New Zealand interview with James Tennant and Santiago Cañon Valencia, made on their return to New Zealand, Click To Hear